Sunday, February 5, 2012

Requiem for Sublime...

I must confess, that I have a bit of a sweet tooth. I always have and I am also sure it runs in my family.

But over time, I have learned to moderate this craving by choosing quality over quantity. I'd prefer a few exceptional sweets any day to a mound of sugary sweetness.

And when you find that perfect sweet, the one which is in true balance and harmony with its flavors, you don't easily forget.

Unfortunately, every now and then, a product which you come to love, is discontinued. And this has in fact just recently happened to me.

Bendicks was founded in 1930 by Mr Oscar Benson and Colonel "Bertie" Dickson as a small confectionery in the Kensington neighborhood of London.

While primarily known for their range of premium dark chocolate mints, which I will cover in a future post, Bendicks as also explored other flavor combinations. And these can only be described as sublime.

One of these was Bittergingers. Bendicks expertly combined hot and spicy Chinese ginger extract and tender ginger pieces in a soft fondant which they then double enrobed in dark chocolate containing 95% cocoa solids.




The other of these amazing creations was Bitteroranges. Here, Bendicks took tangy Sicilian orange oil which they combined with a hint of chilli in a firm fondant. And like the Bittergingers, they enrobed this is intense dark chocolate containing 95% cocoa solids.




The result in each case was nothing slight of a heavenly experience of flavor.

There is no doubt in my mind that they will be missed by others, just as they will be missed by me. Until then, I will seek out what remains from those stockists which have carried these two exceptional products and enjoy them to the last, after which time I will continue to enjoy the exceptional chocolate mints which Bendicks continues to produce.

All Rights Reserved.
The rich, the beautiful and the fashionable flocked to our doors. Prominent among them was the Duke of Kent, son of King George V, who regularly visited for some of our famous Bittermints.
The company soon became known by the name that was to become famous around the world: Bendicks of Mayfair.
Our reputation grew still further, and in 1962, our position at the pinnacle of British confectionery was sealed - we were awarded the coveted Royal Warrant: “By Appointment to Her Majesty The Queen”.

No comments:

Post a Comment