Tuesday, August 26, 2014

British Crisps... Adding a Flavourful Crunch to Life

Crisps, or chips in the American vernacular, are a product which uniquely reflects the tastes of a population. While the basic crisp or chip may be a simple thinly sliced potato, the addition of flavoring create a very unique and surprisingly varied snack.

Walkers was founded in 1948 in Leicester, Englad by Henry Walker and today holds 58% of the British crisp market.



I try to make a effort to try a variety of these flavours. Of course I could simply try the old favourites, but then I'd never expand my palate and perhaps miss something I might really enjoy.



Prawn cocktail might seem quite a odd flavour for the American palate, but in reality it simple tastes like what Americans are familiar with as shrimp cocktail sauce. Made with tomatoes from the Vale of Evesham, it is a tangy crisp for those who enjoy the taste of cocktail sauce.


Now tomato ketchup was a yummy crisp. Like the prawn cocktail crisps, these crisps also are made using tomatoes from the Vale of Evesham. A bit like an American style french fry paired with tomato ketchup, these are quite tasty and definitely a crisp I will buy again.


What more can I say about a classic like salt and vinegar. Well balanced and not overly acidic, a taste even those who have never enjoyed salt and vinegar will find pleasing.


The sensations line was added in 2002 and this Thai Sweet Chilli flavour is perhaps my favourite of all the Walkers crisps I have tried. Thai Sweet Chilli has been a part of the line since the beginning and is a wonderful slightly spicy crisp.


Monster Munch was launched in Britain in 1977 by Smith and originally called "The Prime Monster." Renamed "Monster Munch" in 1978 each pack featured a different monster on the front of the packet. This is actually a corn snack and this is the flamin' hot version which has a nice bite to its crispy corn base.

I will continue to seek out new British flavours from Walkers as they become available and as always, return to my favourites.

All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment