Friday, August 8, 2014

The Greenbrier Spa... Better than Europe

Growing up, I never even considered going to a spa. It wasn't until I was on my honeymoon at The Greenbrier that I decided to try what I had been missing for all these years. The spa at The Greenbrier has been ranked as a top 50 resort hotel spa in America by Conde Nast for the past four years and is currently ranked number 12. Not a bad place to begin my spa experience.



Photo Courtesy Greenbrier Archives

My wife, while perhaps not as dedicated a spa goer as some women, enjoys a professional massage on a regular basis and has visited a number of spas.

On our honeymoon, she had arranged a spa visit for herself and suggested I give the spa a try as well. We were at the resort for a week, so I decided to give it a try. 


Photo Courtesy The Greenbrier

Being a bit of a traditionalist, I selected the Greenbrier Treatment, which was developed in the 1920s and has remained virtually the same ever since. I had the option of selecting a petit massage, lasting about 20 minutes, or a 50 minute massage. Not being familiar with spa services, I decided to enjoy the treatment with the petit massage. The treatment left me feeling so relaxed, I not only went back again during that first stay, but I chose the 50 minute massage option the next visit and have enjoyed the Greenbrier Treatment with the 50 minute massage on every return visit to the resort.

Photo Courtesy The Greenbrier

This signature service begins with a sulphur soak in the natural spring water found at White Sulphur Springs, and in recent years they have removed the sulphur aroma from the water. This bath is so deep that at 6'2" tall, I can completely submerge my body, which I can't do in most baths. Following the soak you have the choice of a steam or sauna, in which case I always prefer the steam. 


Photo Courtesy The Greenbrier

The next step in the treatment is the Swiss Shower and Scotch Spray. The swiss shower sprays up to 50 gallons of water per minute and the scotch spray is run at 20-30 pounds of pressure. This is a hydrotherapy designed to break up toxins and cellular blockage in the body in preparation for the massage. A full body massage in one of their 18 treatment rooms completes the service.

This spa is a real treat for anyone who has never been to a spa before, as well as any seasoned spa goer, as the relaxation rooms are fully staffed with attendance who are there to fully explain all the amenities available while you are in the spa. 

I now make a visit to the spa a part of every visit I make to The Greenbrier and even enjoy a sulphur soak soon after my arrival, in addition to a massage the following day. A trip to The Greenbrier without a visit to their spa would be missing something as special as the resort itself.

For more information, visit The Greenbrier Spa.

All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your review! They have an old-looking YouTube video posted on their spa page and it looks like you get into a regular-size jetted bath tub for the sulphur soak. It grossed me out for some reason! I've heard lots of conflicting reviews on the shower part, so I'm glad to hear you liked it!

    Christie
    www.KiKiMac.me

    ReplyDelete