Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Turning Over a New Leaf and Running...

When I was in school years ago, I was "drafted" into running cross-country when I really only wanted to run track. I never thought of my self as a distance runner and the experience left a very bad taste in my mouth, not to mention two decades plus of not running since.

Then two and a half years ago I made a statement at a party in October following a half-marathon, that I would run the half-marathon relay the following year. So six months later I went out and got a new pair of running shoes and some shorts and socks. With a donated shirt, I now had one full set of running clothes. Did I start running? Nope

Off to the beach near Charleston, South Carolina for two weeks in late July and early August and still no running for me. It was too hot to start running down there I commented, even though I had bold plans and packed my running gear for the trip. Back at home it was still August and still to hot to start running.

Finally in September I started running intervals, and built up a pace and distance that was so quick that I developed shin-splints and still was 3 miles shy of what I needed to run for the race the following month. I ended up taking two weeks off running before the race so my shins could heal.

I arrived in Pennsylvania for the race and needed to buy a long sleeve shirt since I only had one short sleeve shirt. Even so I felt like I would freeze before the race began. I felt good running the intervals during the race and race a healthy pace. So healthy, or unhealthy, that sometime early that afternoon, my body revolted and I was in pain for the next two days.

I ran a few times between then and December when I went out and ran in a 5 mile race in the cold of mid-December. I'd gone out and bought cold weather running gear and was prepared for the cold this time. The run felt good, but I still was in pain for a day after the race.

I didn't go running again for an entire year (even though I once again packed the running gear to try on vacation), until I ran the same 5 mile race in mid-December. I ran a slower pace and felt good afterwards. But this was not something I wanted to make a habit. On New Years Day I turned over a new leaf so to speak and went for a short run.

Running was interrupted for the next five months while we dealt with a severe winter and our dog's five month losing battle with cancer. A week after her death, I pulled out my running clothes and went for a run. I've been running 3 days a week ever since with plans to run two races this fall.

I've started out slow, running intervals and slowly building my distance. Home is full of hills so vacation in the heat of coastal South Carolina did mean a flat run where I increased my speed and distance.

Running might not be for everyone, but if you take it slow and do it for fun, not pushing yourself too hard, but also not giving up on yourself, it can mean long lasting health benefits. I don't plan to try to ever win a race, just signing up for them to give myself a goal to be prepared for a distance I want to run for fun. This is why I like the five mile and 8k races.

Over the next few days/weeks I will be posting some more about the things which I've found which have worked for me as I've decided to be more serious about running and taking care of myself while I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment