Thursday, August 31, 2017

Refueling with Tradition... Some Thoughts on Dining in London Part 4

This is the final post in the four part series on Dining in London

My final full day in London was spent popping into some very unique venues. I began with a quick stop at the Jamaica Wine House, locally known as "the Jampot." 


Located on the site of London's first coffee house, the sign of the Pasqua Rosee's Head in 1652, the current building was built in the 19th century. 




It features a lovely wood paneled bar divided into three sections on the ground floor, and an elegant restaurant, Todd's Wine Bar, downstairs.




I slipped in for a quick pint in my quest to try a variety of real ales, this time trying Spitfire. A lovely little place tucked away in the City of London. Not an easy find, but well worth it for a pint and a rest from a busy day. For more information, visit their website at http://www.jamaicawinehouse.co.uk/


My next stop was Simpson's Tavern. Not to be confused with Simpson's in the Strand, Simpson's Tavern was established in 1757 and lays claim as the oldest chophouse in London. 


For those fans of the Harry Potter series of novels, you can's help but see the inspiration J.K. Rowling must have gotten from alleys like the one in which Simpson's is located, for Diagon Alley.



While waiting for my friend, I popped into the bar and enjoyed a pint of real ale, this time from Bass, which is not that common of a find in London these days.


Once my friend arrived, we headed upstairs to the restaurant which is arranged in stalls, the layout remaining traditional to the 19th century. The dining arrangements are communal, so if your party does not fully occupy a stall, be prepared to have others seated with you at some point during your meal.



I started my lunch off with Simpson's mysterious Famous Stewed Cheese. Recommended as a starter or a savory desert, this was tasty and the perfect way to warm up on a chilly day. It's not listed on the menu, though I did find it on the online menu, and it's quite tasty. Think welsh rarebit.


I then moved on to their cottage pie, a shepherd's pie made with minced beef rather than minced lamb or mutton. This London institution featured tradition London food in a traditional London chophouse. Exclusively a dining establishment for men, until 1916 when women were admitted, this is one place I shall keep in mind for the future and perhaps pop in for a chance to try their full English breakfast. For more information visit their website at http://www.simpsonstavern.co.uk/


About mid-afternoon, I was in need of a break so I made my way to Gordon's Wine Bar, which was established in 1890 and is believed to be the oldest wine bar in London. Located in Kipling House, named for Rudyard Kipling who lived in the building as a tenant in the 1890s and where, in the room overhead he wrote"The Light That Failed" and both he and G.K. Chesterton wrote some of their works in the little parlour of the Wine Bar.



With indoor seating in the old cellars once used to store wine, or outdoors in Watergate Walk if the weather permits, you are sure to find a unique place to enjoy a glass of wine. They have a varied wine list full of interesting wines as well as sherries and ports which are served from the barrel. They also have food available, but I did not avail myself of their varied choices from pies to cheeses. 


I decided to enjoy a glass of port, quite reasonably priced, in Watergate Walk. It was a lovely March afternoon and I only wish I had more time in London to enjoy such a lovely little wine bar. Highly recommended for those looking for a unique bit of London history and some well priced food and wine. For more information visit their website at https://gordonswinebar.com/


As the day began to come to an end, I made one last stop at the Admiral Codrington. not too far from my hotel, this was my chance to enjoy one last pint before I readied myself for dinner with family.


I settled in with my pint inside the pub and for it very pleasant. I do wish I had time to enjoy some of their bar snacks, but as I was in a hurry, I had but time for one pint and I was off.


As I'd been doing for my entire visit, I decided to try something unique, in this case The Admiral's Cask real ale, made by Marston's Brewery.  But I'd definitely pop by for a pint if I was in the area again. For more information visit their website at http://www.theadmiralcodrington.co.uk/


I hope you've enjoyed this brief look and some unique and traditional places to grab a bite to eat or a drink while in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment