Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Crossing the Pond... Thoughts on Travel to and from London from America

It has been far too long since I last visited London. This trip was prompted by the need to visit my Uncle who is quite up in years, and was not a visit to be delayed. While the personal family bits aren't quite the stuff for a blog post, I thought some out there might enjoy some of the other bits of the trip. The airfare was the single most expensive bit of the trip, so I was going to make the most of every moment I could while in London.

So, where to begin. Well, this first posting will be about the travel aspect of the trip. I booked my flight about 3 weeks before the trip on British Airways. Having traveled abroad before, I knew that I preferred European airlines and also direct flights. They European carriers tend to have better service in my opinion and I enjoy their food and beverage services. This flight would be 7 hours to London and just over 8 hours returning, so I'd rather not spend any additional time traveling, hence the direct flight. As I would also be traveling with family on the return, I followed in their planning and booked in premium economy. (More about that later)

I packed light. Being premium economy I was entitled to two carry-on bags weighing 51 pounds each and two checked bags weighing 51 pounds each. That would allow me 204 pounds of baggage fully packed! Knowing I might want to bring back some things from London, I packed a light briefcase for my iPad and papers, and a suitcase weighing on 30 pounds packed. I also packed a small duffel bag inside my suitcase if I needed more space or wanted to spread out the weight of anything I bought in London, avoiding a $60 fee for an overweight bag. so there I was with probably 160 pounds of available packing, just in case...

I'm not one to enjoy last minute issues at the airport, so I arrived 3 hours before my flight and had no issues checking in. As I'd downloaded the British Airways App onto my phone, I was aware of my flight time and the planned slightly early departure and early arrival in London. I could also browse the in-flight entertainment and decide how to bide my time on the long flight.

Once we were in the air and on our way, they offered beverages and I enjoyed a rather nice white wine. 


Dinner was then served and I enjoyed another nice white wine.







About an hour prior to landing, we were provided with a very light breakfast snack.


Our plane arrived at Heathrow ahead of schedule and we were parked slightly away from a terminal so that a set of stairs was wheeled to the plane and we then boarded a bus to the terminal. I packed light so that I had only my carry-on brief case. This made this portion of my trip easy. Once at Terminal 5, I went through immigration and when that was complete, my bag was there at baggage claim ready for customs. Checking my bag provided no time delay and given the stairs from the plane, I was much better off and lost no time compared with those who did not check bags.

I'd planned my trip in advance with some research. I had three options to get into London from Heathrow. Taxi, which would be the most expensive but most flexible and in greatest comfort providing door to door service. The taxi will run  £46 - £87 one way and there is no extra charge for additional passengers. I'd recommend this to anyone who might not be able to manage bags very well themselves. (For more information on taxi fares see https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares) Another option is the Heathrow Express which is a train line from Heathrow to Paddington Station in London and is the fastest way to go from Heathrow to London. From Paddington to your hotel, you would need to walk, take a taxi, take a bus, or take the Underground. Another option is the Underground which is the cheapest way to travel from Heathrow to London and is part of the Piccadilly Line. With this option I would not use this if traveling into Central London with anything more than carry-on luggage as the gap between the train cars and some platforms, as well as the stairs and escalators in some Underground stations might be problematic to negotiate. And the last would be National Express, which is motor coach service between Heathrow and Victoria coach Station which is adjacent to the Victoria Rail Station. These can be as low as £5 for the 8:50 coach and can be as much as £12.50 for some departures.  (For more information on National Express see http://www.nationalexpress.com/en/airports/heathrow-airport.aspx

Based on my hotel location, I took the National Express, which cost £5 and took about 1:30 to reach the Victoria Coach Station with no transfers. This put me only one block from my hotel which was an easy and quick walk.

As I did have some time to kill before I left Heathrow, I went to the Underground Ticket Counter on the ground floor of arrivals at the terminal. Here I was able to purchase an Oyster Card which covered my trips on the London Underground for my entire time in London.

For my return to America, I was not traveling alone but with my mother and uncle. We asked the front desk at our hotel to book us a car, which would allow us slightly more room than a London taxi. The ride took about 30 minutes (we were traveling opposite rush hour commuter traffic) and was just over £40 for the three of us. We arrived at Heathrow three hours before our flight. I'd not arrive any earlier as you cannot check bags more than three hours before your flight. Check-in took no time at all and we then proceeded to the VAT refund station. highly recommended if you've bought items costing over £100. I took my refunds in pounds sterling, which gives me plenty of cash for my next trip to the UK without having to stop at a money exchange before or after my arrival in the UK.

Once through security, we decided to stay in the main part of Terminal 5, rather than go out to Terminal 5B. Terminal 5B has a Starbucks and a Weatherspoon Express, but those are the only food options. for shopping they have a rather tiny Harrods shop, Boots, WH Smith, and World Duty Free among a few other shops. But the main Terminal 5 with the A gates has a much wider selection, which is why I decided to remain there until an hour before my departure time. For food, the main Terminal 5 has a nice sized Harrods shop, three separate WH Smith shops, Boots, Burberry, Cartier, Cath Kidson, Chanel, Dior, Fortnum & Mason, Gucci, Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Montblanc, Mulberry, Prada, Rolex, Smythson, Thomas Pink, Tiffany, World Duty Free, World of Whiskies, among other shopping venues. For food they have a Pret A Manger, Starbucks, Caviar House, Fortnum & Mason Champagne Bar, Itsu, Pilots Bar & Kitchen, and The Crown Rivers. With such a variety, you can see why I didn't make haste to Terminal 5B with so much time to kill in the airport before my flight.

Once in the air and on our way we were offered beverages, followed by a nice lunch, both of which I enjoyed with a glass of wine.




The lunch was quite lovely and before landing we were served second light lunch.





I can't say enough about British Airways or the entire travel experience and am already making plans to return to London, following the same travel arrangements as in this trip.

For travel reservations with British Airways, please visit their website at https://www.britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_us


No comments:

Post a Comment