Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Refueling with Tradition... Some Thoughts on Dining in London Part 2

This post is a continuation of part one of this series on dining in London.

I spent most of my next day visiting with family and returned to my hotel late in the afternoon. I think we were all a bit knackered so the choice for dinner that night was the conveniently located Ebury Restaurant & Wine Bar at 139 Ebury Street. 



Located very near to my hotel, it was so convenient that it could not be ignored. But convenience is not the only reason to try this restaurant. Their food is delicious and this is very credibly rumored to be the location of Prince William of Wales bachelor dinner.



I decided to try their 3 course prix fix menu and started with the Smoked haddock gratin, leek and cheddar. 


For my main I tried their Pan roast sea bass fillet, pistachio risotto, courgette purée. 


And I finished things up with their Chocolate truffle torte, crème fraîche, filo crisp. This restaurant might be a bit out of the way for some, but it was incredibly convenient to my hotel and I would definitely make this a serious contender even if it was not so convenient.


For more information check out their website at http://eburyrestaurant.co.uk/

The next day, on recommendation of an American friend, I made a point to visit Rules at lunch time.



Rules was recommended to me by one of my American friends so I had a chance to do a little research on the restaurant prior to my arrival in London. It is located at 35 Maiden Lane in Covent Garden.  


Established in 1798, it holds claim to the oldest restaurant in London. This was also the location of private dinners in which Prince Albert entertained Lillie Langtree, as well as a site in the recent James Bond film, Spectre. These are just a tiny few of the historical facts about this special place in London.



I decided to have a light lunch in the cocktail bar and began by ordering a pint of Fuller's London Pride, served in a silver tankard, and a selection of Morcambe Bay Rock Oysters, Fines de Claires Oysters, and Native Oysters. 


Their service is with the top half of the shell still on the oysters and served with finely chopped shallots in red wine vinegar, as well as lemon. These are top notch oysters and this is from the perspective of someone who has grown up with Chesapeake Bay oysters.



Afterwards I decided to linger and ordered The Rules, a champagne cocktail made with Tanqueray, Dubonnet, and Vintage Crémant. This was not to be my only visit to Rules this day as I returned with friends for drinks in the cocktail bar after our dinner elsewhere. With the fireplace, it was the perfect place to enjoy a drink with friends. I shall definitely be returning to Rules on all of my future trips to London. For more information please see their website at http://rules.co.uk/

More to come in the next installment of this post...



No comments:

Post a Comment