Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A New Gin for a New Summer...

I'll begin by starting that I am NOT someone who seeks out organic products, but simply quality products. I've never really thought much about organic foods and when I do consume them, it is generally by accident rather than design.

Recently I fell into an organic product and must say that I'm hooked, on it at least.




Juniper Green Gin is a certified organic London Dry Gin and perhaps the best gin I have had the pleasure of trying.


It is certified organic by the Soil Association, the UK's leading membership charity campaigning for healthy, humane and sustainable food, farming and land use. Through their non-profit business Soil Association Certification, they inspect and award organic certification to farms and businesses that meet their organic standards. Any product sold as ‘organic’ must comply with strict rules which assure consumers they are buying genuinely organic products that can be fully traceable back to the farm. Organic standards cover all aspects of organic food certification including production and packaging, animal welfare, wildlife conservation, and ban unnecessary and harmful food additives in organic processed foods. Their standards not only meet the UK government's minimum requirements but exceed them, especially in areas concerning the environment and animal welfare.

Juniper Green is produced at the Thames Distillery and is the last gin fully produced and bottled in London. Truly the only London Dry Gin.

With aromas of lemon soufflé, fresh juniper, hay and dried herbs which follow through with a silky entry to a fruity medium to full body gin. It finishes with a long, dried citrus peel and quartzy mineral fade. This is a well crafted and balanced gin almost light and elegant. But no mistake about this gin, this is not for those who do not like the flavor of juniper.

Juniper Green has a very short list of botanicals, including only four in its makeup: juniper, angelica root, coriander and savoury.

I've tasted Juniper Green in Gin & Tonic using both the American Schweppes Tonic Water as well as the British Schweppes Indian Tonic Water, against two other brands of gin, Tanqueray and Gordon's. Personally I prefer Juniper Green, using either of those two tonic waters, to the other gins which I tried. And while it might not be my everyday or entertaining gin, it certainly is what I will reach for when I want to enjoy a nice quality gin, especially in a gimlet or martini. Cheers!

All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment