Monday, March 5, 2012

A Breath of Fresh...

For all my life, I have been a loyal customer of one brand of toothpaste, which shall remain nameless.
But I was never a great fan of the extremes of flavor.

It seems to me that the great solution to the toothpaste flavor, by most companies is simply to give the customer more. More mint. More cinnamon. More.

But that isn't what I want. I want clean, but not a burning sensation in my mouth.

And then I was introduced to vanilla mint. Now for those of you who have never tried it, you might be thinking, that this sounds gross. but what it gave me was a mild mint flavor for which I was looking. And then they discontinued the flavor.

Now I understand companies are sometimes forced by the bottom line to make changes in their product line. But when I wrote to the company and told them of my disappointment and asked for product recommendations, I was simply told that they didn't "have a recommendation" for me at the time and that I "may want to check [their] brand websites for information about [their] current products." That was it. That was all.

So I decided to try and find a replacement, but for the first time in my life, I decided to go beyond my lifelong toothpaste brand.

Let me just say, finding a replacement toothpaste is not an easy task.

After a year or so, I finally found what I was looking for in a toothpaste.


Macleans was founded by New Zealand born Alex C. Maclean in 1919, manufacturing "own-name" products for pharmacists.

In 1927 he created Macleans Peroxide Toothpaste, the very first whitening toothpaste.

The company was purchased by Beecham in 1938, eventually becoming a part of GlaxoSmithKline today.

The height of the brand's popularity may well have been the 1950s, when it was sold against a backdrop of Hollywood glamor. But it still remains in the market with a very dedicated and high profile following.

GlaxoSmithKline was not very helpful or responsive in my requests for information about Macleans. As a matter of fact, they never responded to the two attempts I made to contact them, which I have found to be very typical of mega companies with small brands still within their portfolios.

If my decision to use Macleans was based on the customer service of GlaxoSmithKline, I would not be using it and would have continued my search for another toothpaste.

But I found in Macleans I found the toothpaste with the texture and flavor I was seeking.

Specifically I chose Macleans Whitening Toothpaste. It offered my a very natural peppermint flavor, while at the same time being specifically formulated to whiten teeth and prevent discoloration after brushing. 

On a whim, I also decided to try Macleans Freshmint Mouthwash. This is anything but mild, and contains a noticeable alcohol flavor behind the mint. I have no doubt that this is quite the effective antibacterial plaque fighter.

I also gave the mouthwash the extreme test. After smoking a cigar, I used the mouthwash to see how it fared at eliminating "cigar mouth," and it passed the test with flying colors. Even the morning after, no sign of the cigar after taste remained, which I cannot say of every mouthwash.

Now I only hope that my "new" found toothpaste continues to stand the test of time for the next 85 years...

All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment