Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Essential Gardening Tools... Spring is here!

For the past 15+ years, I've had the pleasure of having my own garden. From a small fenced garden to a much larger parcel, two things have remained constant, first that gardens take work and work delayed or put off becomes even more work later, and second that having the right tools for the job do make gardening easier. I've learned the hard way about both things.

The the first point, I will try to keep this as simple as I can, but I was once told "one year to seed, seven years to weed." The basic premise is that if you let your garden go to seed just one year, you will be spending the next seven years weeding out that mess. My suggestion is to develop your garden slowly over time. While we all might want that instant garden which looks glorious in print and social media, sometimes it is best to let to evolve in phases. This not only saves your bank account, but it lets you learn about the soil, light, climate and even those animals which decide that your garden (even ornamentals and flowers) looks like the most delicious all you can eat buffet. Knowing those factors can help you select the best plants for your own garden.

To the second point, I've purchased a variety of tools over the years, and have learned, sometimes the hard way, there is no cheap solution which works, but having the right tool for the job can make the work much easier, and easier work is usually more enjoyable.

While perhaps not all inclusive, this is what I've found works best for me over the years:

Briers Professional Gardening Gloves: I find that gloves wear out over time, for me the first seem to go at the fingertips. After reading online, I went with Briers Professional Advanced Smart Gardening Gloves. They have generous padding in the palm and fingers, ensuring a comfortable and secure grip. It also has a breathable back fabric to keep your hands cool, while at the same time providing protection from thorns. The Velcro at the wrists keeps the gloves locked on and they have seemed pretty impervious to dirt so far. And I will add that my first pair lasted 3 years in the garden, which is pretty fantastic.

Showa Thermo Gardening Gloves: This is a new addition for me, but one which I am glad I have added. I've selected the Showa Thermo gardening glove. It's got a "stick-grip" on the palm and fingers which hold up to gardening and are excellent for handling firewood without worry of splinters. The extra long cotton wrists and brushed cotton lining provide comfort in cold winter weather. 

Hunter Wellington Boots: I've worn a variety of footwear working in the garden over the years. Some have been out of convenience or a pair of shoes no longer serving their original purpose, but the Wellington Boot has reigned supreme. For one they keep the dirt out. It may be surprising, but dirt will get into the top of any shoe. Not the case with these boots. And they provide one excellent barrier against pesky mosquitos biting at bare ankles. East to slip on and off the classic Hunter Wellington boot, is my garden work boot of choice. The classic green isn't about a fashion plate, it's about being functional. I'm sold on these any day of the year.

For tools I've migrated to Bulldog tools made in England. This was the line of tools Smith & Hawken began selling when they opened in 1979 and before they introduced their own line of "pretty" but worthless Chinese made crap.

Bulldog Tools have been manufacturing and supplying British made gardening, contractors, and farming tools since 1780 in Wigan, England. All their digging tools are tested to surpass British Standard and can typically take a load in excess of 200 lbs. Tools are forged from their own high quality manganese steel and fitted with "A" grade Ash handles.

Digging Spade with Treads:  The Bulldog Treaded Digging Spade is perfect for digging unprepared ground in preparation for the planting of new shrubs, seeds and vegetables. The Ash handle provides a very a comfortable grip and the treads are welded onto the top edge of the spade, providing protection for your shoes or boots. They also help to avoided slippage in damp conditions. The digging spade is also useful for moving larger quantities of bulk material, and with its carbon steel head, which is solid forged, it is both durable and strong meaning it can withstand repetitive use.

Standard Digging Fork: This is one of the old British import digging forks imported by Smith & Hawken from England and while I can't be positive, it certainly looks and feels like a Bulldog Standard Digging Fork. It's perfect for digging compacted soil, breaking down lumps and levelling the ground. The sharp prongs are ideal for aerating and turning soil.

Merlin Rubber Rake: This is a smaller version of the wizard rake and is useful when working with tight spaces, such as around the bases of shrubbery and flowers. The longer shaft also relieves the pressure on the users back, which is particularly useful when using this tool repetitively.


Bulldog Premier Hand Trowel: After mending my previous trowel, I reached out to Bulldog for  what I hope will be the last I will ever need to buy. This trowel is the perfect hand tool for planting bulbs and seedlings, or any small digging you need to do around the garden. The shaped wooden handle provides a comfortable grip, and the trowel blade is made from carbon steel which means it is wear resistant and strong with a heavy duty tang to secure the head to the handle.
Bulldog Daisy Grubber: I've worked with many different shapes to remove weeds, but this one has worked well for me.  The shaped wooden handle provides a firm, but comfortable grip, and the blade is narrow entering at a "V", allowing the trowel to pull weeds with minimal damaged. Like the trowel, the head is made from carbon steel which means it is both strong and wear resistant, perfect for all weathers in your garden.
Professional Bypass Pruner: My old pruners met their end a year or so ago and I bought these as a replacement. These shears use two blades that bypass each other. This is the perfect tool for thicker stems and live wood in the garden including roses, shrubs and fruit bushes. The 3/4" capacity shears also have soft grip handles that provide a comfortable grip. I won't have to worry about the locking mechanism falling off or the grips sliding off these shears like my previous pair.

So, that's what is working for me in the garden right now. Yes, some of these are a bit more expensive than cheap Chinese imports, but I when it comes to garden tools, I need something long lasting and comfortable. And that's what I think I've finally manage to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment