Sunday, December 10, 2017

Quality food on the go in London (and now in America too)... Pret A Manger

Americans can sometimes be easily drawn to the comfortable surroundings of chain stores, especially for food when traveling domestically. Fast food restaurants naturally fill this niche, despite the nature of their food. But there are other options.

In London, you can find a reasonably prices delicious "fast food" option, Pret A Manger. I really hate to call it fast food, as it is not like typical American fast food, but it is quick, delicious and reasonably priced. On my recent visit to the UK, I had the good fortune to be introduced to Pret and enjoy its yummy food several times.

I will caveat this blog in stating I'm not much of a coffee drinker, so I did not evaluate their coffee, but I do love a good sandwich, so that is what I will focus upon in this blog post. 

 Sausage and Egg Brioche

Twice I had a chance to eat breakfast at Pret, and both times I chose the same sandwich, because firstly I'm a creature of habit and secondly, it was very yummy. For my breakfast I chose the Sausage and Egg Brioche, which is an English breakfast sausage, sliced down the middle and grilled in the oven before being wrapped in a freshly cooked omelette. Served in a deliciously light buttery brioche with a dab of unmistakably French butter. The American Pret also has a Sausage and Egg Brioche and this version is a breakfast sausage (antibiotic-free), Wisconsin cheddar and their signature cage-free egg soufflĂ©, on a buttery artisan brioche roll. I'm not sure if the American version will tickle my fancy, but the British version is a solid choice and I honestly hope the American Pret adopts this tasty British sandwich as well in the States.

I had a chance to try three different sandwiches at Pret during my stay in London. Each was delicious in its own right and only personal preference would be reason to choose one over another. The first sandwich I tried was the Ham, Cheese & Mustard Toastie, listed among their hot food offerings. Made with seeded bloomer bread, Wiltshire-Cured Ham, Croxton Manor Matured Cheddar Cheese, English Mustard Mayo and seasoning. This is then grilled. Quite a nice sandwich on a chilly day. The American version is the Smoked Ham Mac & Cheese Melt, which consists of Niman Ranch smoked ham (antibiotic-free), Pret's mac & cheese, fontina, cheddar and a sprinkling of Pret's seasoning sandwiched between 2 slices of sourdough bread, which is then grilled. Based on description alone, I lean towards the British version, but then again, I do have anglophile leanings.

My second Pret sandwich was the Ham and Cheese Sandwich, a simple and delicious combination of Pret's Wiltshire-cured ham and sliced mature Cheddar which is served in their soft granary bread with a dab of unsalted French butter. The American version of this sandwich is the Smoked Ham & Chedar, made with sliced Niman Ranch applewood smoked ham (antibiotic-free) with sliced cheddar and a touch of whole grain mustard mayo, on our 9-grain granary bread. Again, I've not had the American version, but I would find it hard to beat the British version and how can one improve upon mature Cheddar. (If you have not tried mature Cheddar, once you do, it will ruin you for typical American Cheddar forever.

Pret's Christmas Lunch

The third and final sandwich I tried was Pret's Christmas Lunch, which consists of thick slices of Norfolk free-range turkey breast on malted bread with a dollop of slightly tart port & orange cranberry sauce. It is served with Pret's herby stuffing ,made with beautifully seasoned minced pork, streaky bacon and apricots. Finally the the sandwich is topped with crispy onions and fresh baby spinach. The current American version is Pret's Thanksgiving Lunch, which consists of all of your favorite Thanksgiving Day flavors in one hearty and delicious sandwich, roasted turkey breast (antibiotic-free), fresh spinach, crispy onions, pork and apricot stuffing, tangy cranberry sauce and cage-free mayo on 9-grain bread. Again, I have not had the American version, and which they are close in description, my mouth still waters at the thought of the British versions I enjoyed in London.

But regardless of your preferences, Pret offers a quick and affordable, delicious meal in London. Not to be missed and found throughout Central London, and also at Heathrow Terminal 5 for international departures.

For more information visit Pret A Manger at their British website http://www.pret.co.uk/en-gb or at their American website https://www.pret.com/en-us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment