Monday, March 24, 2014

Back to Green Spring...

As snow threaten in late March, it may seem as if Spring will never arrive, but the last Saturday in March brings with it the beginning of the Steeplechase season in Maryland. This year the season begins with the Green Spring Valley Point-to-Point at Shawan Downs.

I've probably attended more races at this site than any other course. Last year I again had a Subscriber Pass, which places you atop a hill, above the finish line and encircled by the newly realigned course. While the elevation may seem to provide an ideal vantage point, you can't quite see the finish from the Subscriber parking. Luckily it's a short walk downhill to the finish line, though not the sort of walk you'd want to make with too many picnic items and quite a hike back uphill to your car. But regardless of what parking or tailgating option you choose, there are many excellent places from which you can watch the racing.

This is a typical local hunt Point-to-Point, and a far cry from the large social events like Hunt Cup, Carolina Cup, Gold Cup, Foxfield, or even the fall races at Shawan. What the race lacks in social prominence, it more than makes up for in racing. It is these local Point-to-Points where you find the serious followers of the sport.

2013 Green Spring Valley Point-to-Point

It is at these local races, like those at Cheshire the next day, where horses and jockeys prepare themselves for the big three races, which are held the last three Saturdays in April. Every other race lines up on those three big races.

Shawan Downs, where the Green Spring Point-to-Point is held, is a large tract of land which was saved from development by the many members of the horse community and has been developed as an equestrian park, hosting a variety of events on its grounds. 

The weather for this race can be cold, windy and wet. But if you love steeplechase and know how to dress for the weather, I can't think of any place I'd rather be that watching the races.

For me, dressing for the weather means a good pair of wool socks and Wellies kept in my car the entire season just in case the ground requires something a bit warmer and drier than I had originally planned. I also dress in layers and make sure everything I'm wearing will still keep me warm even if it gets wet. That means lots of wool and my well-worn waxed cotton from Barbour. I might smell like a wet sheep by the end of a rainy day, but at least I'll be warm!

Check out the Maryland Steeplechase Association website for more information:

No comments:

Post a Comment