Monday, June 27, 2016

Crowning The Gravelly Hill... Part 11

Part eleven of the series...


Residence of Harry Billington Rosston - 318 Woodlawn Road






Designed by W.L. Price of Philadelphia and built by the Roland Park Company between 1893 and May 1896.

The views show a design appropriate to its surroundings, the broad treatment of the roof and gable ends being the principal features of the design. There is a wide, well shaded porch, with square columns on stone piers, supporting the high hipped and overhanging gable roofs. The foundation and a portion of the first story, as well as the main chimney of rock-faced local stone, laid with joints well broken and with good color effect. The other chimneys of is brick, and stone capped. All exterior framework is sheathed, covered with building paper, shingled, and originally stained deep red. The roof was originally similarly treated. Dimensions: Front, 31'3", exclusive of bay; side, 62'7", not including porch projections. Heights: Cellar, 7'6"; first story, 9'; second, 8'6"; attic, 7'6".

The reception hall, running full width of the house and finished in red oak, has a wide arched opening, forming a separating feature from the staircase portion, with the fireplace centered, and faced with tiles, a mantel over.

Reception Hall looking into the Parlor ahead and Reception room to right 2015

There is wide staircase of easy rise, with turned balusters and plain square newel, and a leaded landing window. The walls were originally papered.

The parlor also has a tiled (angle) fireplace, with a mantel of neat design above, and connects by pocket doors.

 Parlor 2015

Dining room, finished natural, has double sliding door opening, bay full width, and connects with kitchen, containing usual fixtures, through pantry, provided with dressers, sink, etc.

Dining Room 2015
Kitchen 2015
The laundry in rear has three wash trays. The second floor is divided into four chambers, the connecting one intended for a dressing room, and a bathroom with the plumbing exposed and with approved fixtures.

Principal Chamber over parlor 2015
Bedroom over kitchen 2015
Bedroom over kitchen 2015
Bathroom 2015

There is a large linen closet, provided with shelves, etc. The attic has a servant's rooms and storage space. The cellar is cemented, and is provided with heating apparatus, fuel storage space, etc.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Crowning The Gravelly Hill... Part 10

Part ten of the series...


Country House of John W. McPherson, Esq. - 415 Hawthorne Road





Designed by Wyatt & Nolting of Baltimore and built between 1893 and May 1896.

McPherson was one of the original members of the Baltimore Country Club.

This country house represents a Colonial residence, embracing both symmetry of design and convenience of arrangement. The piazza is cozily sheltered and of inviting appearance, with Tuscan columns and pilaster at shingled jambs. The bay at side gives ease to and relieves the severity of roof lines. Shingles on roof were originally weathered, and on the side originally stained snuff brown. The trimmings were originally of cream color, contrasted by dark green shutters. The chimney is of red brick, with bluestone coping. Dimensions: Front, exclusive of bay, 30'2"; side, 51'4". Heights: Cellar, 8'6"; first story, 10'3"; second, 9'7"; attic, 7'6". On the first floor we have an attractive reception hall, paneled in cypress. The staircase has spindle balusters reaching to the under side of a flat arch adorning the ceiling. The angle fireplace is paneled. The back stairs are conveniently connecting with the main staircase at the landing. The library contains an angular fireplace, with a marble mantel supported by two brackets. The dining room was originally in white, with an ornamental frieze, ans also contains a cheerful fireplace of neat design. The kitchen and pantry are each provided with a dresser with drawers under shelves. In attic there is one large bedroom, a servant's bedroom, and convenient storage accommodations.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Crowning The Gravelly Hill... Part 9

Part nine of the series...


Cottage of James F. Leib, Esq. - 502 Woodlawn Road






Designed by the owner James F. Leib of Baltimore and built between June 1893 and May 1896.

On June 23, 1893 Leib purchased this lot for $1500 from the Roland Park Company.

He was one of the original members of the Baltimore Country Club and an 1890 graduate of the Mechanical Division of the  Maryland Institute College of Art.

The views show a front piazza, with four stone piers to the height of rail, forming base for square columns supporting the overhanging gable roof, which is relieved by the wide, hipped-roof dormers in front and rear. The foundation and piers are of local stone. The structure above is sheathed, papered, clapboarded, and was originally painted yellow at  the first story. The gable is shingled and was originally stained brown. The roof was also originally shingled, and left to weather. The chimneys are of brick, and capped with stone. Dimensions: Front, 29', exclusive of entrance porch; side, 40', including piazza. Height: Cellar, 6'6"; first story, 9'; second, 8'6"; attic, 7'. The entrance porch is at the side, with the door opening on the hall, in white pine,  and grained oak. The staircase has wide newels, with paneled faces and a flat cap. The turned balusters are on a straight string. A pocket door opens on the music room, in pine, was painted white, with an angle fireplace, faced with light gray mottled tiles. The mantel, also painted, has an ornamental top and beveled mirror. The library connects by pocket doors. It has a similar fireplace, with tiles of light mottled brown, and mantel above, and is backed with a mirror. This room also has a glazed door to front piazza, and really serves purpose of reception hall or living room. The dining room has a fireplace, also tiled. The upper mantelshelf is supported by two long fluted columns. Two shorter ones support the side shelves. A beveled mirror is at the head. A passage, with a pantry at the side, leads to the kitchen. A wide, circular arch, with a large, central electric light globe, forms an interesting feature in the second floor hall. This floor is divided off into four chambers of good size, two with alcoves (circular plaster arches), and all with large closets. There is also a bathroom, wainscoted in yellow pine, natural. All the plumbing being exposed and nickel-plated, a tub of enameled iron, and a basin of marble. All of these were of the best make. There are two rooms in attic. The house is trimmed throughout in white pine, grained or painted, lighted by electricity and gas, heated by hot air and cost complete $3500; The cellar is cemented, and contains the heater, fuel storage, etc.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Crowning The Gravelly Hill... Part 8

Part eight of the series...



Residence of Moses B. Sayre, Esq. - 311 Oakdale Road





Designed by W.L. Price of Philadelphia and built between Fall 1891 and May 1896.

Sayre was proprietor of the Sayre Optical Company. He was also one of the original members of the Baltimore Country Club.

The design is domestic gothic in feeling, the octagonal tower breaking through the great expanse of the gable roof, well shaded porch, roof being supported by stone piers, hipped entrance feature and general grouping of windows, are the principal exterior features. The foundation and first story are of rock faced, light gray stone. The exterior framework above is sheathed, papered, shingled, and was originally stained deep red. The roof was also shingled and originally left to weather. the trimming color was originally cream. The shutters at the stone work, were originally the same. The other shutters were originally painted green. The chimneys are of red brick, with recessed face, and corbeled top. Dimensions: Front, 57'6"; side, 36', not including bay or porch projections. Height: Cellar, 7'6"; first story, 9'; second, 8'6"; attic, 7'6".

The floor plans show a most convenient arrangement of rooms. The entrance door, with sash above, and paneled beneath, leads to a vestibule, having seat at one side, and door to reception hall, which is wainscoted, with the ceiling plastered and paneled off, beams being exposed. There is a square column at stairs, with a beam forming a flat arch over the inglenook. The fireplace is faced with light buff brick, with a mantel shelf above, and is paneled to the ceiling. There are seats at each side.

 Reception Hall in 2014 Showing Inglenook and Seats
 View from Reception Hall towards the Library in 2014
 Reception Hall in 2014

The reception room in the tower, is octagonal in form, and is in pine, originally painted cream. There is a low paneled wainscot or dado. The fireplace is faced with cream tiles, and has a Colonial style mantel above.

 Reception Room in 2014

The library, originally in dark oak and now painted white, has a fireplace, faced with large burnt Sienna tiles, a mantel above, and is paneled to the ceiling. There is a seat at one angle, and a closet in the other. There is a seat at the mullioned window. There was a beam over the bookcases (now removed) at the blank wall.

 Library in 2014
 Library in 2014
 Library in 2014

The dining room, also in oak, has a seat in the bay window, a fireplace faced with blue tiles, and a shelf and dresser above in one angle, with a china closet in other.

 Dining Room in 2014 showing the china closet in the corner
 Dining Room in 2014
 Dining Room in 2014

The butler's pantry originally had a generous dresser room, sink and shelves, but was removed to expand the kitchen. The kitchen contained the usual fixtures.

Kitchen in 2014. The area beyond the ceiling beam was the former butler's pantry.
Kitchen in 2014. The area beyond the ceiling beam was the former butler's pantry.
Kitchen in 2014
Kitchen in 2014. The area beyond the ceiling beam was the former butler's pantry.
Kitchen in 2014

The second floor is divided into four chambers, all with large closets, a sewing and two bath rooms, with best fixtures and exposed plumbing.

 Stairway from Second Floor in 2014
 Chamber above Dining Room in 2014
Chamber above Dining Room in 2014
Bathroom above former Butler's Pantry in 2014
Chamber above Kitchen in 2014
Chamber above Reception Room in 2014
Bathroom above Inglenook in 2014
 Chamber above Library in 2014

A servant's apartment and storage space are in attic.

 Attic in 2014
 Attic in 2014

The cellar is cemented, and contains the laundry, heating apparatus, fuel storage, and other apartments.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Crowning The Gravelly Hill... Part 7

Part seven of the series...


Residence of Edward H. Bouton Esq. - 309 Oakdale Road



This residence was designed by Wyatt & Nolting and built by the Roland Park Company between 1893 and May 1896.

Bouton was Vice President and General Manager of the Roland Park Company. He was also one of the founding members of the Baltimore Country Club.

The views show a successful treatment of an all-shingled house, in the Colonial style. The great expanse of gambrel roof is relieved by dormers, projecting gables, and bay. The porch rail is shingled, and forms base for square columns at the entrance gable. Turned columns at the side support the overhanging roof above. The foundation is of local stone, gray in color, and all the framework above being sheathed, papered, shingled, and originally stained sea green on the sides, and originally allowed to weather finish at the roofs. The chimneys are of brick, and cement capped. Dimensions: Front, 49'4"; side, 29', including main, but not porch projection. Heights: Cellar, 7;, first story, 8'9"; second, 8'; attic, 7'6".

It has a Dutch sash entrance door, paneled beneath, which opens onto a vestibule, with walls covered with cartridge paper. There is a portiere opening to the reception hall or library, with a centered fireplace, faced with cream unglazed tiles, with a mantle above, of good Colonial design. There is a seat at each side, and book cases over these having leaded glass doors. There are two steps up from this room to the landing and dining room level. Heavy Ionic columns, of correct detail, support the beam above.

View of the Reception Hall looking towards the Landing

Narrow, exposed beams in the landing have ceiling strips between them. The stairs, of easy rise, have four balusters to the tread, and a turned rail. The dining room, had tapestried walls and has a similar tiled fireplace. Two columns support the mantle shelf above. The conservatory is all shingled, same as outside, by removal of the sash, forming a porch. There is a passage, with ample dresser accommodation at side. The kitchen, which contained the usual fixtures, is wainscoted 5' high with narrow T and G boards, and a moulded cap and base. The second floor plan shows three chambers, with fireplaces and closets, and a tiled bathroom, with best fixtures. The toilet is separate. All the plumbing is exposed. The attic has a servant's room, servant's bath, and closet space finished off. The cellar is cemented, and contains a hot water heater, servant's toilet, laundry, fuel storage, and other apartments. The finish throughout is clear white pine. In the reception hall and dining room it is given a slight greenish tinge, the addition of that color to the oil, making a very pleasant color effect. The kitchen and pantries are finished natural, and the chambers are painted in colors to harmonize with the papers. The front bay and mullioned windows, as well as the two side reception hall windows, are leaded, the two former casement hung, the latter stationary.